Together the village of Wymondham and the hamlet of Edmondthorpe form a parish in the Borough of Melton in Leicestershire with a combined population of approximately 650. They lie close to the county boundaries with Lincolnshire and Rutland.
The village church of Wymondham, St Peter's, dates back to the 13th century.There is a pub called the Berkeley Arms and a major landmark in the form of a windmill that has been converted into a visitor attraction with tea room and craft shops. Wymondham has a primary school and a pre-school group and there is also a large playing field named after Sir John Sedley.
A disused railway line, part of the Midland and Great Northern Joint Railway branch line between Saxby and Bourne, runs just to the north of the village. The Edmondthorpe and Wymondham railway station closed to passengers in 1959.
Wymondham claims to be the home of Stilton cheese courtesy of Frances Pawlett, a "skilled cheese maker" of Wymondham, who has traditionally been credited as the person who set modern Stilton cheese's shape and style characteristics in the 1720s.
The Church of St Michael and All Angels in Edmondthorpe is maintained by The Churches Conservation Trust and is situated in the centre of the surrounding farms and cottages, close to the ruins of Edmondthorpe Hall
An embanked section of the disused Melton to Oakham Canal lies to the west of the village and loops under the road between Edmondthorpe and Teigh.